The Standard Life Insurance

All eligible employees have Basic and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) life insurance while they are actively employed.  Eligible employees can also add optional life insurance to their benefits.  Please visit our Form Library for more information. 


Am I eligible to add optional life insurance?
If you are a full-time, appointed employee you can add optional life insurance coverage.  Contact the HR department to find our if you are an appointed employee.

How much optional life insurance coverage can I purchase?
$10,000 up to $200,000 in $10,000 increments ($10,000, $20,000, $30,000, etc.)

How much does the optional life insurance coverage cost?
The premium will be different depending on your age and the amount of coverage you elect.  On page 2 of the Additional Life Coverage Highlights information packet, you will find a chart that explains how to determine your premium.  Your insurance premium will change as your age bracket changes.

Do you offer spouse and dependent child life insurance?
Yes!  The coverage for a spouse is $25,000 and for dependent child(ren) $10,000 for each child.  The cost for spouse/dependent children life insurance is $5.64 per month or $2.82 per pay.  The combination of spouse and/or children covered does not change the amount.

Do I have to answer medical questions to add optional or spouse/dependent children life insurance coverage?
If you are a new hire of the Worcester County Public Schools, you can add optional life insurance to your benefit package without any medical questions asked!
If you are a current employee, you will need to answer the Medical History Statement.  Once you complete the Medical History Statement, The Standard will approve or deny your request by sending you a letter.  If you are approved, your optional life insurance premium will begin beinging deducted from your paycheck.
During Open Enrollment each year, you can increase your optional life insurance benefit by $10,000 without any medical questions asked.  In order to do this, you must already have optional life insurance.

How do I enroll?
If you are a new hire, you just need to complete the Enrollment and Change Form.
If you are a current employee, you can enroll during Open Enrollment, November 1 - November 30.  You will need to complete the Enrollment and Change Form AND complete the Medical History Statements.  You will need to send the Enrollment and Change Form to the Human Resources Department.  The Medical History Statements are submited to The Standard online.

Can I take the Basic and AD&D and/or my optional life insurance with me when I retire or leave employment?
You may have the option to take your life insurance with you when you leave employment.  Please call The Standard, 800-378-4668, for more information.  Our group number is 754760.